Sunday, February 1, 2009

Dublin, Ireland

I spent Christmas all the way across the Atlantic Ocean in Ireland! A nice "lad" (boy) named Alan and his friend Kirk said they would show me the sights and sounds of the Ireland's capital city, Dublin. I was so excited to see what life is like in another country!

One thing that surprised me was the size of the buses in Ireland. Just look at how big this double-decker bus is compared to Alan and myself! But as big as the bus was, it was nothing compared to what we saw next.

Alan and Kirk took me to see the Dublin Spire – and it was amazing! It's 390 feet tall, and it was hard to see the top of it. It's on O'Connell Street, which is one of the widest streets in Europe. As we walked along the street, we saw another double-decker bus, but this one was an "open-top bus".

We also saw the O'Connell Street Christmas Tree, which was all bright and lit up, and some Christmas lights, which sadly weren't. We stopped into a shop, where Kirk introduced me to an Irish leprechaun! I bought a nice Irish pin, too!

Then we walked over to Grafton Street, where we were greeted by this statue. It's of a girl called Molly Malone, an old Irish legend who has a song written about her. Alan and Kirk offered to sing it for me, but I've heard them sing before – I knew to say no! (Their singing hurts my ears.)

At the end of Grafton Street, we came to the archway into St Stephen's Green, a huge park, with ponds full of ducks and swans. We took pictures of them, and fed them bits of bread. But soon the pigeons got jealous!

It was time to go home, so we hopped on the train back to Alan's house.

On the way, we stopped off at Alan and Kirk's college, the National University of Ireland in Maynooth. In between the train station and the college, we saw this really old church, which I thought was really pretty.

Once we got to the college, Kirk took me up to the science laboratories, where I got to have lots of fun with him and his friends.

With Kirk's help, I used a syringe to put water into test tubes, and used a big microscope to look at really small cells! I had to be really careful, and listen to Alan and Kirk's instructions though, because the equipment was very dangerous, as the signs said.

As we finished up in the college, I put my arm around Alan's neck, and he carried me all the way home. What an exhausting day! Thanks Alan and Kirk, for letting me visit you in Ireland, and taking me to see all these fine sites!

No comments: